I’m back ladies and gentlemen! It’s been a little while but I’m back to doing what I love….blogging! These past couple months I’ve been crazy busy! I’m finishing up my Master’s at St. John’s University, trying to pursue my “dream career”, and working like crazy! I’m actually working at Macy’s in the corporate buying office. I am a Merchant Office Assistant in the Fine Jewelry department. (Fancy title that basically means I do boring clerical work). I’m learning a ton about the retail world. It’s brutal out there! My favorite part about the job is going out with vendors. The vendors treat us amazing (cause they want our business!) I’ve never had so many free lunches until I started working here! Anyway these have been some of my favorite summer outfits so far…hope everyone is having an amazing summer! More to come!
Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending my friend’s formal/award ceremony for her sorority. That’s me and her pictured at the top. She’s to the left, doesn’t she look fabulous? It was then that I realized that many people, especially younger people, don’t quite know how to dress for “black tie events”. Many of the attendants were not appropriately dressed for the occasion! So I came up with a few rules to help figure out how to dress to a formal event.
1. READ THE INVITATION!! If the invitation uses any of these words, formal, black-tie, dress-to-impress, gala, cocktail, etc., you better dress your best! If the invitation looks very classy, sophisticated, and well, formal, you know it’s a very formal event!
2. Research where the event is going to be held. Is it going to be held in a beautiful dining hall, catering hall, or country club? Or is it on a beach or someone’s backyard? This is important for determining how to dress. You won’t dress the same way to a beach wedding as you would to a wedding in a country club.
3. Don’t be afraid to over dress! It is better to be overdressed than underdressed. If you are overdressed, at least it showed that you care and that you took the extra time to get ready for the great event! It’s not your fault that people aren’t up to your par! hehe! There’s nothing wrong with standing out (in a good way).
4. Be mindful of the host(ess) and their religion/faith/traditions, etc! Obviously, do not wear white to a wedding. Keep in mind not to offend anyone or their practices. For example, if you are attending a strict Muslim or Jewish ceremony or wedding, try to cover up a bit.
5. Have fun!!! (but be tasteful!) Please know the difference between formal/evening wear and clubwear. You don’t need to wear a dress that’s showing all your goods (unless you’re trying to get the groom in trouble early!!). Black is always safe and appropriate for formal events but don’t be afraid to step out the box! If you are attending a wedding, it’s best to try not to stand out too much and distract the attention away from the bride, but if you’re attending another formal event such as a sorority formal, special gala, or any other social event, don’t be afraid to be the spotlight!
6. If you have to question whether something is dressy enough or not for the occasion, chances are, it’s not dressy enough! If you have to question whether something is appropriate for the event, you might want to choose a different outfit. Oftentimes people confuse nice work/business dresses with formal dressy dresses. Business/work dresses are completely different than formal. Formal events shouldn’t be “work”! You’re supposed to have fun and show off how amazing you can be! This is your change to dress to impress and show the world your beauty!
7. Always be clean and polished! Make sure your hair is nice and neat. Make sure your make-up, if you choose to wear, is fabulous and flawless. Make sure your nails are kept neat and no nail polish is chipped off. Make sure your jewlrey compliments your outfit and is appropriate for the occasion. I would’nt wear my ghetto name-plate earrings with a beautiful gown!
If you have any doubts as to what is appropriate and what is not, don’t be afraid to ask the sales associate when your shopping for help. Many stores have entire sections for formal wear. You can find some great formal dresses at Dress Barn, Macy’s, JC Penny, White House Black Market, etc. Dress Barn has a great selection of formal dresses at great prices.
My friend, Bridgette, wore a fabulous black dress that was short in the front and long in the back. The back of her dress showed her entire back and featured silver chains and a silver pendant in the front. Of course, her shoes were gorgeous. She was the best dressed at the event, in my opinion.
I wore a short one-shoulder black dress that feature ruffles all around the top. (I got it for $10 at Mandee’s!) I wore it with black steve madden sling-backs and a white Michael Kors clutch. I wore silver drop earrings and a simple silver cross.
A gentleman that we befriended at the event was also dressed very snazzy. He wore a navy suit jacket with a blue shirt, orange tie, and cream pants. I think it’s always necessary for guy’s to wear jackets/blazers at formal events!!! (Excuse my gut in this pic, I ate sooo much that night…it was unlimited food and drinks!(: )
Another tip is to be mindful of whether or not the invitation calls for you to wear or stay away from certain colors. Recently, my brother had the opportunity to attend a wedding. The theme for the wedding was purple and white so he wore a black suit from Karako with a white dress shirt and a purple Michael Kors tie from Macy’s. As mentioned in a previous post, I encourage guys to wear colors like purple, pink, and yellow.
As the nights get cooler and the days become shorter, the sad realization that summer is ending and fall is beginning entered my thoughts. Labor day has come and gone, swimming pools are closed, the kids are finally back in school and fall is here! Not to fear, these hot fall items will surely warm up these cool September nights. It’s time for Fall 2012 trends!
My number one fall 2012 trend is snake print! From the runway, to the crossway, snake print is everywhere! From pants, to purses, to shoes and belts, snake print is a popular trend that is not going away. The key to rocking snake print is learn to wear it in moderation. Don’t over do it with snake print everything. The motto is less is more. I personally love a pair of Skinny Jean Snake print pants paired with a simple black top and black shoes. I found an awesome pair of INC brand snake-print skinny jeans at Macy’s for $79.50. Another one of my obsessions that is perfect for any season (especially the fall) is leopard print! I am obsessed with leopard print! Again the key to wearing leopard is moderation! You do not want to walk out the house looking like you came from the jungle! Check out the Guess? Leopard print pants pictured above. Aren’t they cute?!
The next trend I’m kind of feeling for Fall is metallic pants. They’re perfect for a night out on the town with your girls or a nice date night with that special someone. Jean Paul Gaultier featured metallic pants in his Fall 2012 collection in Paris. Again, the key to wearing metallic is to take it in moderation! I would do a cute pair of metallic pants with a black blazer. It shows that your professional side can be a bit edgy. I’m also loving the metallic handbags. I’m not a huge fan of metallic shoes, but if it works for you, go for it! Check out Victoria Beckham in her long black blazer with her shiny metallic black pants and oh so cute Christian Louboutins!
Leather Jackets are a must for Fall!! As the weather gets cooler, you must be prepared for any weather changes, and look cool while doing it! Leather coats are edgy, sophisticated, and can make a difference to any outfit. Leather is coming back strong this season with everything from leather dress, to pants, to tops. If you cannot afford real leather, designers are making faux-leather jackets that actually look real! (I remember back in the day when you could quickly spot out who was wearing the “pleather”). Below is faux leather jacket I bought from Dress Barn last fall. What do ya think?
I found this great Michael Kors Purse at Marshall’s for just $99, originally priced $228. When I found it, I felt like I hit the lotto! It was the only one there and at more than 50% off, it was a steal! This huge travel size tote bag has the signature MK logo and silver handles. You can fit your whole life into this bag! For people like me who like to put their entire room into their bags, this purse is perfect! I love stores like Marshall’s and TJ Maxx for their great finds on shoes and purses. I don’t really have patience to find clothes there because I can’t deal with the mess and shopping for clothes in a chaotic place. However, if you’ve never shopped at a Marshall’s or TJ Maxx before, try it out (at least for accessories)! You never know what you might find. Their stock is always changing so every time you go, you’ll find something different. They carry hundreds of name brands at the best prices. Saving money on great buys gives me a rush that I’m addicted to. Everyone has their addiction and unfortunately mine is shopping. Sadly, that rush that I got from buying the MK purse is gone and I already had my fun with it, so I might just return it =( I’m ready for the next great buy!
So as it turns out, I’m obsessed with black. Black is sexy, classy, professional, punk-ish, hot, stylish…basically you can never go wrong with black. From black hair, to black nails, to black clothes, I cannot get enough of it. Today I’m here to talk about our best friend, “The Little Black Dress”. You can never go wrong with it!! A cute simple little black dress can make you feel sexy and confident. It’s perfect for any occasion and it makes you look good without trying to hard. The little black dress can help you hide your tummy, show off your sexy legs or your toned arms. Make sure you pick the right type of dress for your body type. For example, if you want to add some shape to a “non-shapely” body, you might want to add a belt or a string to tie your waste in. If you want to add some color, you may want to add a brightly colored belt such as pink, red, green, yellow, etc. to add a pop. Or to add a pop of color, you can pair some bright-colored shoes or a bright purse. The number one rule is to accessorize!! Whether it be some stand out earrings, bracelets, blazer, purse, etc, accessorize, accessorize, accessorize! Here are some ways to wear a little black dress…..Here is how Kim Kardashian wears her sexy little black dress.
Picture courtesy of staraandstyle.com.